TMI Editorial Policy
TRANSACTIONS ON MEDICAL IMAGING (T-MI) encourages the submission of manuscripts on imaging of body structure, morphology and function, including cell and molecular imaging and all forms of microscopy. The journal publishes original contributions on medical imaging achieved by modalities including ultrasound, x-rays, magnetic resonance, radionuclides, microwaves, and optical methods. Contributions describing novel acquisition techniques, medical image processing and analysis, visualization and performance, pattern recognition, machine learning, and related methods are encouraged. Studies involving highly technical perspectives are most welcome.
The focus of the journal is on unifying the sciences of medicine, biology, and imaging. It emphasizes the common ground where instrumentation, hardware, software, mathematics, physics, biology, and medicine interact through new analysis methods. Strong application papers that describe novel methods are particularly encouraged. Papers describing important applications based on medically adopted and/or established methods without significant innovation in methodology will be directed to other journals.
To qualify for publication, submitted manuscripts must be previously unpublished and must not be under consideration elsewhere. Only authors may appear in the author line of a manuscript. Authors are defined as individuals who have made an identifiable intellectual contribution to a manuscript to the extent that the individual can defend its contents. The Editor-in-Chief and an Associate Editor will perform a quick review of each manuscript to evaluate the manuscript in terms of novelty, quality and appropriateness and may return the manuscript immediately if it does not meet minimum standards of quality, originality, and scope. Manuscripts will ONLY be accepted in electronic format through ScholarOne Manuscripts. Please go to the ScholarOne Manuscripts website at http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/tmi-ieee or to the TMI website https://ieee-tmi.org/ to find instructions to electronically submit your manuscript. Do not send original submissions or revisions directly to the Editor-in-Chief or Associate Editors.
For purposes of qualifying for peer review and consideration for publication, authors must submit a properly executed electronic copyright form in favor of IEEE, sign an Author consent form, agree to a mandatory page charge for overlength manuscripts or color figures, and prepare a manuscript according to the general guidelines provided by the IEEE Author Digital Tool Box at http://www.ieee.org/web/publications/authors/transjnl/index.html.
- The manuscript must contain an abstract of less than 250 words and index terms (keywords).
- Double-column, single-spaced pages and figures appearing within the text are required for peer review. Figures and tables must be clearly numbered and captioned. Follow IEEE guidelines for graphics to prepare high quality line art images.
- References in the IEEE style should appear in a separate reference section at the end of the paper with items referred to by numerals in square brackets. An electronic style file for references is available at https://www.ieee-tmi.org/authors/Word-Template.docx.
- TMI does not publish authors' biographies.
- The authors should submit the complete paper that includes the text, figures and tables to the ScholarOne Manuscripts in one PDF file. Providing multimedia files or other documents as supporting materials is optional.
- Initial submissions may not exceed 10 pages. Revised manuscripts may extend beyond 10 pages.
- Published papers that exceed eight (8) printed journal pages will incur mandatory overlength page charges.
- If and when a paper is accepted for publication, the Editorial Office will contact the authors with detailed instructions on preparing the final version for publication. The authors must submit a properly executed IEEE copyright form in favor of IEEE, sign an author consent form, agree to a mandatory page charge for overlength manuscripts or color figures.
By policy, IEEE owns the copyright to the technical contributions it publishes on behalf of the interests of the IEEE, its authors, and their employers; and to facilitate the appropriate reuse of this material by others. To comply with United States copyright law, authors are required to sign and submit a completed IEEE Copyright Form with their original submissions. IEEE returns to authors and their employers full rights to reuse their material for their own purposes. Electronic submission of the IEEE Copyright Form can be accomplished online. Instructions are available at http://www.ieee.org/web/publications/rights/copyrightmain.html.
This publication is a hybrid journal, allowing either traditional manuscript submission or Open Access (author pays OA) manuscript submission. Be sure to review the submission policy before submitting your manuscript.
Page Charges and Reprints
After a manuscript has been accepted for publications, the author will be requested to pay a page charge of $110.00 per printed page to cover the cost of publication. If this charge, which is not a prerequisite for publication, is honored, the author will receive 100 free reprints. Additional reprints may be ordered upon return of proofs. A mandatory page charge is imposed on all papers of length exceeding eight published TRANSACTIONS pages including illustrations. For pages nine and ten a $250/page charge applies. For pages eleven and up a $350/page charge applies. Overlength page charges apply for both traditional and Open Access manuscripts. Manuscripts for first submissions can be ten pages, however overlength page charges do apply for more than eight pages. The ultimate length of submitted publications is determined by the IEEE publications department. Details are provided by the IEEE publications department after final files are submitted; however, authors are urged to keep this in mind when submitting and revising their papers.
Michael Insana, Editor-in-Chief, IEEE-TMI
Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology
Department of Bioengineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1270 DCL, 1304 Springfield Ave
Urbana, IL 61801